Saturday, June 14, 2008

Somethin' bit me!

We (new labmates and Joel) were out to a state forest in north central Florida the other day. We saw a gopher tortoise, fox squirrels, a swallow-tailed kite, a small tree scratched and snapped by a black bear, ticks, and chiggers (larvae of mites - we didn't actually SEE these). The first one to guess which one(s) bit me gets a free picture of the red, penny-sized welts (hint) all over my legs and waist.

In addition to grossing you out and providing updates, I'd also like to introduce you to the natural history of Florida as I am introduced to it, either with pictures, links (like those above) or interesting facts. For example, Florida has around 3,500 plant species. Only California and Texas have higher statewide totals.

The pictures below (except Chance at the bottom - that's just a classic of his proud and handsome face after burying a bone in the backyard) were taken during our first full week of work in Gainesville.


Michelle's workplace.



The shiny hopsital next door.


Joel's workplace.


Live Oak lazily guarding the Florida Museum of Natural History.


Live Oak guarding the Saturn. Near apartment. They're like Ents.


Woodland between buildings on campus. Cabbage palm in the understory.


University of Florida Century Tower and Auditorium.


Auditorium. Site of famous "Don't taze me bro!" incident.


Chance has always looked good in orange and blue!

3 comments:

Carrie Z. said...

I'm wondering if those are chigger bites, Michelle??? One of my brothers had over 300 bites one time. I stayed away from going in the lake after that experience!

I laughed about your thoughts on the Eastern time zone. I don't think I ever made it up to catch the news. I think its funny to see Jeopardy @ 7:00. Plus you have to wait an extra HOUR to watch The Office. Very painful : )

Cheryl said...

You guys seem really happy! We miss you lots.

Tammi said...

I bet it was a pack of gopher tortoises that bit you. Quick as gophers with the cunning and sly disposition of a tortoise, there's no stopping those freaks of nature.