Well, sort of. Take a deep breath Mom, I'm alright :) Today was my first day at my new job! I'm pretty excited about it, I think it will be a great fit for me. I'm working in a virology lab at the Univ. of FL, just down the road a bit from Joel. It's a pretty big lab; 2 professors share the space and each one has 4-6 grad students at any given time, plus myself (I'm what you call a 'lab tech') and a bunch of undergrads. Everyone seems really nice and easy to get along with. If you want to read a little about it, here's the link: http://www.mbi.ufl.edu/facilities/msg/index.html (don't worry, I don't understand much of it either, but hopefully that will change soon). The 'shot' I was referring to is a polio booster vaccine I had to get today. A lab that we share some space with works with the polio virus so everyone who even thinks about entering those rooms has to get a booster.
Joel sort of had his 'first day' today as well, but technically he's been a part of the lab for about 3 weeks now. I won't even pretend to know what it is that he'll be doing, so I'll let him fill you in on all of that :)
We saw on the news tonight that there has been a lot of flooding and other bad weather up north. We hope and pray all of you are ok!! Please keep us updated on any important news.
Speaking of the news, this Eastern Time Zone thing is really messing with my head. After spending my entire life in CST, having the national news on at 5:30 and primetime shows at 7-10, watching the local news at 11 pm just doesn't seem right. I mean, Wheel of Fortune is on at 7pm for crying out loud! This may be our biggest adjustment yet.
6 comments:
pretty cool Michelle....I'm duly impressed and so happy this is gonna work for you....you wouldn't believe the rain...we got 5" and are fine but by the Dells, Lake Delton dam went out and several homes washed right down the Wisconsin River....also, the Kickapoo River is overflowing and Wildcat Mtn is closed!!
Well, at least Oprah is on at 4:00 no matter where you go. :)
We miss you!!!
Do you work for the guy with the porn stache? Uh oh, hopefully he isn't reading this blog!
I understood like 9 words on that website. Get the textbooks out of the moving box!
Hey guys, great to see you arrived safely. We are doing great. Joel Gary really misses your talents!
The moss is so Southern, love it.
Aligators, not so cool!
Hi Michelle,
I don't know what others are complaining about - I didn't think it was tough to understand the lab stuff (yes, a sign of a true geek). We know what you mean about that east coast timezone stuff. We hated having the news on at 11 also and didn't really get used to it even after 3 years. Hope you're staying cool!
Kathy
Glad to hear you're settling in - those moving pictures were great. I've realized that I function better when I have a vacation to plan and look forward to, so we'll have to start discussing a visit sometime this fall.
Post a Comment