We had a great time at Jake and Camila's BBQ on Friday, where there was no shortage of good food, interesting conversation, beer, and dogs.
The Alachua County farmer's market was pretty basic. We plan on going back because you just can't beat fresh local produce.
Michelle and I enjoyed a pick-up game of volleyball at the rec center on campus Saturday evening. After that, we found a large coupon book for the 'starving college student' and immediately put it to use. I guess we haven't escaped that category yet.
Scalloping didn't go exactly as planned. We haven't been Florida residents long enough to receive in-state hunting and fishing privileges (90-day minimum). So, we agreed to purchase one temporary out-of-state license and I would do an exploratory "see if this is for us" trip this time around. Michelle will overcome her ocean-creature fear in approximately 60 days. I write that because it was really fun, a good bit of work, yet very simple, requiring a minimal amount of gear. No, we didn't encounter any dangerous sea creatures unless you count the half-drunk powerboat captain a dangerous sea creature.
We (other grad students from UF) paddled a few miles out into the gulf. As the water clarity improved and we approached a large gathering of boats (sure sign of a sweet spot), we anchored the canoes/kayak and snorkeled around in a bed of sea grass. We had to dive anywhere from 4 to 8 feet to pick the scallops, which are oyster-like creatures with dozens of beautiful blue eyes and a tasty little adductor muscle inside. Tasty.

BBQ with friends on the 4th. Independence is a blessing.

Chance can touch his nose with the tip of his tongue if he tries real hard.

The daily scallop bag limit for 6 people.

Anole displaying orange dewlap. Chance gives these a healthy chase.
(Michelle's edit: These things are everywhere! I took this picture outside of the building where I work. I think they're adorable. Chance apparently thinks they look like a good snack option.)

Assassin bug on American beautyberry.
1 comment:
Scalloping sounds like great fun, not to mention good eating. Missed you at Hartman Creek campout. Willie swam circles around Julie and I. This week and next, Julie's parents are with us. Tata (Julie's Dad) got a big surprise the other morning when Willie jumped up next to him in bed and woke him up with a nice face lick. Fortunately, both he and Baba love Willie and are amused at his activities - including protecting the back yard from every squirrel, bird or dragonfly that dares to enter his territory.
Thanks for your blog, we love to keep track of what you're up too. the pictures are great.
Love and God bless,
Uncle Dan
Post a Comment