Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer wrap-up

We still have more than a month of actual summer to go, but Michelle and I are winding down our summer schedules at least. For her, that means less ultimate frisbee and more undergraduates in her lab. For me, that means classes are about to get in the way of my education.

Michelle played in two ultimate frisbee leagues over the summer, both of which went pretty well, except the day several of her team members (Michelle included) were almost struck by lightning. So glad she's still on this side of heaven!

This year should be my last year of full-time coursework (for a grad student). I get to learn about statistics and soil microbes this semester. I'll also get to figure out if this teaching business is really for me or not, since I'm TA-ing for the first time.

We are making a quick trip back to Wisconsin for the weekend. A good buddy of mine from grade/high school is getting married on Saturday. "Nuts to you Fisher!" His name is Matt Fisher, so we would say that to him sometimes. He is marrying a young woman who was raised in Georgia and of course, hates the Florida Gators.

Speaking of the Gators, I saw the football team out practicing the other morning. We were really looking forward to getting season tickets, but I guess it wasn't meant to be this year. We'll still get to a game or two, though. For those of you who don't follow college football, the Gators have an outstanding team. They won the national championship last year, led mostly by Tim Tebow. He and all but 5 starters return this year. Their facilities are very 'green', too.

We'll update you on other news when we get back from the place where summer arguably never happened this year!

No comments: