
It's in the Tea family, along with a favorite shrub/tree of mine from Alabama, mountain camellia.

A couple of labmates recently visited a state forest northeast of Gainesville and found the new state champion loblolly bay for Florida, which would probably also be the national champion for this species. It is many times bigger than the little guy you see pictured above. I just took that and the other shots at Goethe a few weeks ago.

If you're not familiar with the state or national champion tree concept, it's pretty straightforward. Just cruise around on the link above and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Also, note how many tree species there are in Florida by clicking here.

Speaking of the number of tree species in Florida, I'll be TA-ing a Dendrology course this fall. It's the closest thing to a botany course that I can find in our School of Forest Resources.

Goethe at early morning hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment