
I came across this orchid earlier this evening. A botanical treat like this is always the best way to end a long, hot day in the field.

I almost walked right past it, though, since it was tucked away there in the wiregrass. Apparently, it does better in areas that are burned occasionally.

It is also referred to as orange-fringed orchid across the eastern U.S., which I think is better reflection of its true color.

I recently read this interesting article about bee and orchid sex. Check it out if you have the time. The author is adapting a couple of his more popular books, 'Botany of Desire' and 'In Defense of Food', for PBS this fall. Must see TV right there.
2 comments:
I heard about the orchid's pollination ploy on NPR last week. I really enjoyed "In Defense of Food", have you read it? Thanks for the heads up about it being on PBS.
Wow. I'm a nerd.
Most of it, along with Omnivore's Dilemna. I liked Botany of Desire the best, but it's not as consequential as his "foodlike substances" books.
Post a Comment