Saturday, May 26, 2012

Replacing canned cream of fill-in-the-blank soup

I had seen recipes for homemade cream-of-whatever (chicken, celery, etc.) on the web in the past, but since I have a lactose intolerance and we don't eat a lot of creamed soup dishes anyway I didn't give it much thought. But then one day I had some celery that was about to go bad and I decided to give it a whorl. So glad I did, and I hope you do too. Not only do you use pronounceable, real-food ingredients, the flavor is just better and it's really not that difficult. As a bonus, the soups seem to do fine in the freezer so you can make it ahead and just thaw when you need it. 


 Celery, onion, and garlic cooking in the butter. Be prepared to have everyone pop into the kitchen to ask what smells so good.

 I believe this is the website I got the recipe from that I've made a few times now; I've only done cream of celery but I'm sure I'll try chicken in the future. I added one batch to a chicken soup to make it a little creamy, and the other to a Shepherd's pie. Yum and yum.


Everything thickening up nicely.

No comments: