Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Kicking the boxed cereal habit

Next up, another staple in our kitchen for the last few months - homemade granola. This has basically replaced boxed cereal for us, and I find that I don't really miss it (except for the occasional box of Life which I'm pretty sure I could finish in one sitting if someone didn't pry it out of my hands). We have it for either breakfast or a filling snack, mixed with yogurt and raisins or even just plain milk. I find that it sticks with me much better than boxed cereal (probably due to the higher fiber content? Haven't done my research), and then there are all the other benefits. Doesn't it seem like cereal is really expensive for the small amount that you get? And I'm always surprised when I add up the sugar content. I reached for Raisin Bran last year sometime thinking, 'ok, this has got to be somewhat good for me' and realized one of the top five ingredients was high fructose corn syrup, that was just about the last straw. All that packaging, preservatives and additives that I can't pronounce; finally we just said 'no thanks'.

There are tons of recipes for granola out there, but I'll share the method I've been using because it's super easy and turns out great every time. I originally got this from Amy's site, and she's recently posted an updated version with lots of variations that look really yummy!

Lazy Granola
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (*yes, I know I just complained about sugar but I feel a little better knowing exactly what ingredients I'm eating and I'm pretty sure this plus the honey is still less than a box of cereal)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 7 cups oats (I use old fashioned)
  1. Mix brown sugar, butter, and honey in a small saucepan.  Bring to a low boil.
  2. Remove from heat.  Stir in cinnamon and vanilla.
  3. Pour over oats in a large bowl.  Stir until well coated.
  4. Spread oats in a 9×13 pan (I use my large 'bar' pan which I think is bigger but it still works).  Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
  5. Take out and stir.
  6. Return pan to oven.  Turn oven off. Don't open til the morning, even though your house will smell awesome and you'll really want to.

I usually add some kind of chopped nuts if I have any in the house, same goes for sunflower seeds (a constant in our cabinet to go with salads and as a snack for Lydia). In the morning I scoop it all into a large container and keep it handy because this stuff is popular. 

The empty pan in the morning. Not sure why I took a picture of this and not the actual granola-making the night before. I guess that's what happens when you prepare food right before you crash on the couch for the night.

I hope you give it a try! It's easy and yummy and doesn't send you on the sugar highs and lows that usually come with packaged cereal.

1 comment:

Mom Pucci said...

Trying it out tonight...hope it tastes as good as it smells!