But on the flip side, giving a gift can be a special way to show someone that you care about them. And there's nothing wrong with that! I'd just like to challenge you to think about giving differently.
A blog that I read recently talked about these groups and this is something I'd like to do with Lydia when she gets a little older. She and her kids look through the catalog and decide together on 'gifts' they want to provide these people. I want my kids growing up with a love for giving, knowing it's a way we can show our love for Christ to others.
http://www.compassion.com/catalog.htm
https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/Giving/gift_catalog/
I found this link interesting, and so true. And don;t we all joke that the kids play with the box more than the toy? Simple is best, in my opinion.
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/the-5-best-toys-of-all-time/
A great way to reduce waste but give something special, a memory or a favorite hobby:
Here's a few more posts from that site that I wanted to share:
http://ecowomen.net/2011/11/30/shop-local-do-it-for-yourself-for-your-community/
http://ecowomen.net/2011/12/13/the-most-wasteful-time-of-the-year-2/
Thanks for letting me get up on my soapbox! There's probably a lot more I could say about this topic. When our homes and hearts are less cluttered with 'stuff', there's more room for the peace and joy of our Lord to fill it up. Many blessings to you and your family this Advent and Christmas season!
1 comment:
Topics that I meant to address but forgot: homemade gifts = awesome, as are toys that are long-lasting, encourage creative play, and don't require batteries; making the most of the season of Advent to prepare our hearts for Christ's coming; why we won't be teaching Lydia that Santa is real; etc.
Post a Comment