Friday, December 12, 2008

Crape murder


Crape myrtle is an extremely common tree/shrub in the southeast. It's originally from Asia and has some nice qualities for an ornamental plant, including long-lasting flowers, a multi-colored trunk, and some decent fall color. But I've never really understood why so many people down here trim them so severely come fall.

A fellow that I worked with in Alabama called it crape murder. They definitely survive the hacking, though (note the many resprouting points)...I guess it's just one of my botanical pet peeves, right behind throwing used gum into potted plants in school library.

Compare these trees to the ones above. What do you think?
Chance has a staring contest with the neighborhood squirrels.

Had to throw in some green. At least the landscaper at our housing complex had the good sense not to hack the mess out of this philodendron.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's play a game called "Botanical Pet Peeves"! I'll start. I dislike it when people plant spruce trees less than 3 feet from their house.